Thomas Hoover, UpSearch Alum
Thomas Hoover is a technology manager, team leader, SQL Server professional, and problem solver. He is passionate about helping organizations use SQL Server technologies to transform their business, while ensuring the critical data systems maintain confidentiality, availability, and integrity.
Since 2005, Tom has specialized in Microsoft database platforms and data management. He is an accomplished DBA team leader with significant OLTP and Data Warehouse expertise. Tom excels at protecting data in highly secure environments, while empowering users to easily access the information they need to meet their organization’s needs. Tom believes that by correctly using data, businesses can change their customer’s lives.
Tom has always viewed education as critical to success. With that in mind, Tom has earned his MCP 2012, MCTS 2008, and MCSE: Data Platform & Analytics. He holds a B.S. from Ashland University, a Master of Divinity for the Methodist Theological School of Ohio, completed the majority of his Master in Information Technology degree from Cleveland State University and is an active member of Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS).
Tom is a musician, historian, and avid reader. He is also knowledgeable in the Department of Defense Information Assurance Certification and Accreditation Process (DIACAP) and has a proven track record in managing the Plan of Action and Milestones (POAM) based on Government IA guidance and regulations for both new systems and existing SQL Server systems undergoing re-accreditation. Additionally, Tom has years of experience in ensuring compliance with various DISA Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) using both approved automated tools and manual review.
Tom is married to an incredible lady and has four wonderful daughters.
Education & Certifications
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert: Data Platform & Analytics (MCSE: Data Platform)
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
- Microsoft Certified Information Technology Professional (MCITP : DBA)
- Master of Information Technology, Cleveland State University – 95% complete
- Masters of Theology, Vanderbilt and Methodist Theological School of Ohio
- Bachelor of Arts, Ashland University
Information Technology Skills
- Microsoft SQL Server (through 2016)
- Data High Availability and Disaster Recovery
- Data Platform and Data Warehouse Design and Development
- Performance Tuning
- Department of Defense Information Assurance Certification and Accreditation Process (DIACAP)
- Plan of Action and Milestones (POAM) based on Government IA guidance and regulations
- DISA Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs)
- Department of Defense (DoD) Security Clearance
Volunteer Experience & Causes
- Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS), 2008 – present
- Ohio 4-H, President of the Ashland County 4-H Horse and Saddle program