Allen White, UpSearch Alum
Allen White is a Microsoft SQL Server MVP. For over 30 years, Allen has specialized in developing applications that manage the movement of data and maximize data’s usefulness. Allen excels at communicating highly technical information using language that results in increased client engagement and understanding, regardless of technical competency.
Allen has been working with relational database systems for over 20 years. He has architected database solutions in application areas like retail point-of-sale (POS), POS audit, loss prevention, logistics, school district information management, purchasing and asset inventory and runtime analytics. Allen thrives on providing comprehensive solutions to information management problems across a great variety of application environments.
In addition to designing and developing application data structures, Allen coaches development teams on database best practices. He has created “Center of Excellence” documents for major corporations, while achieving full client developer adoption.
Allen White currently serves the SQL Server community as President of the Ohio North SQL Server User Group, the Cleveland, OH based chapter of the Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS). He is also the author of many articles and blog posts, mostly on automation of SQL Server tasks through the PowerShell language. An authority in his space, Allen is published in two books already available.
In December 2004, Allen White began collaborating with Microsoft experts to define skills expected of “300-level” Database Developers. Designs from this project were used in Microsoft certification exams and associated courseware for the SQL Server 2005 product. Microsoft invited Allen back in October 2005 to contribute in the Alpha Review of exam 70-444. Allen wrote 60 of the 150 exam questions.
- Microsoft MVP Award for SQL Server (July 2007 – Present)
Education & Certifications
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Database Administrator (MCITP:DBA)
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Database Professional (MCITP: DBD)
- Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems, Baldwin Wallace University
- Associate of Applied Science in Data Processing, Cuyahoga Community College
Information Technology Skills
- Microsoft SQL Server (through 2008R2)
- Microsoft Reporting Services
- Integration Services (SSIS)
- Analysis Services (Kimball Method)
- Gathering Metrics with SMO
- Automate your Database Maintenance using SMO
- Alert-based Transaction Log Backups – Automate your database Maintenance Part 2
- Automate your Database Integrity checks using SMO:
- Let PowerShell do an Inventory of your Servers
- Backup and Restore SQL Server with the SQL Server 2012 PowerShell cmdlets
- Test Your SQL Server Backups with PowerShell
- Understanding and Using PowerShell Support in SQL Server 2008:
- Scripting with PowerShell, SQL Server 2008 Bible, Chapter 7
- Automating SQL Server Management Using Server Management Objects (SMO), SQL Server MVP Deep Dives, Chapter 27
- Let Service Broker help you Scale Your Application, SQL Server MVP Deep Dives, Volume 2, Chapter 30
Allen White has presented at the PASS Community Summit each year since 2006, including a full-day pre-conference session on PowerShell for SQL Server at the 2010 PASS Summit, and again at the 2012 PASS Summit. He’s presented at Tech Ed North America in 2008, 2010 and 2013, at Tech Ed Europe in 2013, at SQL Connections in April 2008, November 2010, March 2012 and October 2013, at SQLBits in Liverpool United Kingdom in September 2011 and in Nottingham, United Kingdom in May 2013, and at SQL Server Live 360 in December 2012. He’s also presented at many SQL Saturday conferences around the United States and led Ohio North SQL Server User Group team to present the Cleveland SQL Saturday (#60) on February 5, 2011 and Cleveland SQL Saturday (#164) on August 18, 2012.